This Is For the Best: DNF Edition

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

DNF at 33%

Warning: GIFs ahead!

In my time, I've made it through a lot of shitty books. I've descended to Tense Hell with Axel, learned about Remy's semen in Real, met Pimp!Jesus in Room to Breathe, spent time with some of the most awful people ever in On Dublin Street, and tolerated the blindingly anachronistic, formulaic triteness of Avon historical romances.

But fuck my life, I can't get through City of Bones

Prince Harry hates this book, too.

The problem with City of Bones is its complete lack of originality. Every part of it is derivative of something else. The plot is like some rough combo of Harry Potter and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the humor is basically a dumpster full of jokes I've heard before on TV shows from the mid-90s to mid-00s. Sorry, but I don't have time to read an amalgamation of a bunch of stuff that was done better by superior writers.

Clary is kind of a brat, too. I couldn't get behind her as a main character because she's so self-absorbed and kind of a shitty friend.

I suppose I should be disappointed in this sudden lack of stamina, but seriously, I REGRET NOTHING. When I think about not having to read another word of Clary's magic - blah, blah, blah - Jace's copper hands - bibbity, bobbity boo - and all the other nonsense, my reaction is thus: